The Cleary Owl is a very cool little bike that will provide miles of smiles for young riders who are looking for something a bit more serious than the offerings from mass market retailers. This lightweight singlespeed is easy to ride, comes with a more mountain biker-ish stance than the usual kids bike and Tektro V-brakes also give kids better control (thus increasing their confidence). For real dirt trails, you will definitely want to upgrade to true knobby tires. It would be nice to have an option with gears and we have heard rumors of a geared option coming soon (most likely for a new 24″ wheeled bike first, with others to follow depending on the popularity).
- Singlespeed simplifies bike operation
- Real V-brakes are a big improvement
- Works well as a bike path or neighborhood bike
- Internal routing is a nice touch
- Singlespeed limits the hills kids can climb
- Tires will need to be upgraded for real dirt
- Handlebars a bit narrow